6 July 2007

Indigo is the new green

The call to environmental arms, with ‘how to be green’ tips facing us at every turn, is ringing in our collective ears. Quite frankly – and whilst I do agree we should pay more respect to our planetary home – I’m sick of it.

Not because I’ve got a bad case of information overload with green guides coming out of my ears. Or even because I’m a hardened eco-freak who’s been re-using, reducing and recycling since I first clapped eyes on Rachel Carson’s eco-lit classic “Silent Spring”. No. it’s because I think the eco trend is, in the long term, such a dismal vision for mankind.

Let me expand on what may seem a heretical view in these unquestionably green-tinged times. Or to put it another way, let me ask you this: what happens when you feel guilty, badly behaved or that you might be responsible for a looming catastrophe? It’s not very fulfilling or inspiring - is it? You get all the dysfunctional thrills of being a naughty child or failed disciple – thereby easily controlled and manipulated.

And that’s my beef - or if you prefer, nut cutlet - with the green movement. Where’s the joy? Where’s the awe? Where’s the reason to get up and go each day - with a song in your heart and a zest for life - if you’re living under an environmental death sentence or at least facing the green finger of blame?

Whole article: http://www.holisticlocal.co.uk/articles/view/890/Indigo+is+the+new+green

No comments: